Thursday, September 16, 2010

Travel and Art…Ideas from Tunisia and Painting at Sea

I visited Tunis this summer from a cruise ship and was struck by the contrasts; from the market shapes and sounds, where the booth owners were hawking their wares; abundant in everything: people, spices, sound and sights…exciting and a bit anxiety provoking too. And, it was hot, desert hot. At the highest point of the market, I climbed to the top of a building filled with middle eastern rugs and stepped onto the terrace and saw the world, teeming below.. Then, off I headed, to the calming hues of the sand and sea, a beautiful enclave of beaches and hotels.

By the time I returned to the ship, my head was swimming with color, sights, sounds and textures of city, market and shore. The next day I spent on deck with my pencils, paints and paper sketching, painting abstracts in cools, then warms for paintings to create in my studio. There is nothing like the smells and feelings of a foreign place to incite the senses for new painting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment